Sunday, July 13, 2014

Third Birthday Card

The little boy just turned THREE! Here he is the morning of his birthday. Sleeping bag off, gumboots on, hat on, and off to mow the carpet with his lawnmower. That's his little routine lately. So cute.

I was at a complete blank for ideas for my son's card, so I turned to some inspiration challenges. I found lots of great ideas and combined a few to come up with my design.


First I liked the shaker pocket idea on the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge blog. I'd never made one of these before, so that was a bit tricky and took a few tries to get right. I re-cycled items from Around the House for this, as per the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge.


I used some plastic from packaging and a clothes tag, to add a bit of space (not visible in the final piece). I also used some red craft foam which I was given, because I like to add different textures to my son's cards.

http://retrosketches.blogspot.de/2014/06/retrosketches-121.html

For the layout I drew inspiration from this sketch by Retro Sketches (I was too late to finish my blog post to join the link up for this and Simon Says Stamp). I love the sketches there and will definitely be seeking more inspiration there for cards.


I used the Scrap It Girl colour scheme Navy, Cream, Red & Kraft, from the July Color Challenge. I don't usually use navy, so that was a bit tricky, but I found some navy thread and some dark blue paper to incorporate, and I stamped my son's name in dark blue too. I like the final result!

17 comments:

  1. What great card. Love how you used so many different elements! Thanks for joining us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute card and I like how you incorporated some items around the house! Thanks for joining us in this month's Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful card. Awesome! Thanks for playing along with us at Scrap It Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cool! Love how you made the shaker box. This is the best birthday card! Thank you so much for joining us at Scrap It Girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really cool up-cycle for a shaker box! Perfect for a cute little boy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love this card and those sweet photos! Thank you so much for playing Around the House with the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!
    -Rachel
    rwkrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice idea! Really like this shaker box and how the card looks like. Thanks for taking part at Scrap It Girl Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is an awesome card....love the stitching, the shaker box....really fun! Thanks for joining us over at Scrap It Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job! Thanks for playing along at Scrap It Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome card! I love how it turned it, it really was a great way to combine challenges. :)Thanks for playing along with us at Scrap It Girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a fun, fun, fun card...thanks for taking the July Scrap it Girl challenge

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a cool card! Love shakers! Thanks for playing along with Scrap It Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great project! Thanks for playing with Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

    ReplyDelete